Status message

Please review the display settings for field field_opening_times in view mode full, and save them again.

Bideford Railway Heritage Centre

4 Station Hill
Bideford
EX39 4BB
United Kingdom

Bideford Railway Heritage Centre

The Bideford Railway Heritage Centre has restored the railway. The railway opened in 1855, being extended from Barnstaple and ran onwards to Torrington in 1871. For many years direct trains ran to and from London Waterloo, including the famous “Atlantic Coast Express.” Sadly the line fell victim of the “Beeching Axe” and was closed to regular passengers in 1965 and to freight in 1982. The Bideford Railway Station Group was formed to restore the railway as a visitor attraction in the town and to compliment the popular Tarka Trail footpath/cycleway which runs through the site.

Double track was relaid through the station and the Signal Box was rebuilt on its original site. Historic rolling stock was returned to the site, including a carriage which serves refreshments and also operates as a Tarka Trail Museum. The Signal Box and railway parcels van are open to the public, with an interactive interpretation centre showing the history of the railway, together with artefacts from the line on display.

A diesel locomotive and Guards Van are currently being restored and occasional train rides are given along the short section of relaid track. The Heritage Centre is operated by volunteers who hold working parties on Wednesday mornings. New volunteers and members are always welcome – see website www.bidefordrailway.co.uk for further details.  Check for any daily changes in opening times on Facebook Toon station refreshments.

Bideford Railway Heritage Centre